Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Mountains, rivers and waves of pure thought. What I love about Canadian painting: Lawren Harris

What do I love about being Canadian? Well… a lot of things, I believe we have so much to be proud of but when I think about my little corner of the Canadian universe, the Canadian Art world that is, one artist comes to mind who I have loved ever since I was a little girl. His work inspired me to paint before I had a bigger working knowledge of the who-is-who in the art world, Lawren Harris of the Group of Seven.
Lawren Harris
By the end of his career Harris strove to paint pure thought in his abstracts. The growth of his career and work was beautiful. I was always taken with the way he described form in his landscapes. The smooth shapes, the tones of blue, pink or purple. The rhythm in the linear patterns he used to create everything from waves to clouds. It was like he was painting another world that was still very close to home. I always wished I could find the scenes he created in real life, but being a city girl, never had that chance.
Mount Robson From the Northeast, 1929
When talking about the Group of Seven today one has to acknowledge the standard discussion around if this work is even relevant anymore. In a world that is so far removed from these images what we are seeing appears to be closer to what we believe is Canadian, in the sense of storytelling rather that what is our actual experience. Yet somehow his landscapes express the grandeur of the Canadian landscape that is at once honest and mythic. I believe this sense of myth is important in terms of naming and determining who we are as a people and what our priorities are. Harris’ sense of the vastness in landscapes connected to a very real sense of the spiritual that pulsed within the mountains, skies and trees that he painted and this sense has the potential to lift us up and act as a reminder of what is precious in our natural world, which our fine country is mainly comprised of.

I like to think that this land we live in is a beautiful place however, if I am being honest it is a world that hangs in a delicate balance and is at every moment disappearing and becomes more and more connected to the world of myth and memory instead of lived fact. This is why I think we need works like Harris’ today to connect to, to remember the myths, to re-acknowledge nature from our urban jungles (that get harder and harder to escape) and I think there is the potential to look at these works with a focus on saving this land. So our children and our children’s children won’t have to reply on just images to know what this country once looked like.

You can think what you like about the Group of Seven but you have to admit, there is something magical about Harris’ work. I know that no matter how many times I revisit these paintings I always find something in them that inspire me.

xo Megan

Image List:
Lawren Harris, April 25, 1926, photographed by M.O. Hammond – Image courtesy of Wikipedia
Lawren Harris - Mount Robson From the Northeast – 1929 – Image Courtesy of Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment