Friday, August 24, 2012

Summer Reading: Part Three

But the oldest question of all…who can spy on the spies?
I’ll take my summer full of mystery and suspicion…please.

Written in 1974 – first installment of John le Carre’s Karla trilogy - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is an espionage thriller that is unrelenting: intelligent, subtle and complex. Even though the Cold War (during which the story is set) is now over, the tension of le Carre’s narrative remains taut as its mysteries unfold.
 I found myself totally engrossed in le Carre’s beautiful writing, his descriptions of a grey London were indeed far away from my hot and sticky summer surroundings but that didn’t matter. Call it another form of escapism during my summer break.


Another layer to my enjoyment, I have to admit, came from Tomas Alfredson’s recent film adaptation of the book where fashion and impeccable costume design was a major part. The stars, including Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth and Gary Oldman wear the best of 1970’s British tailoring, designed by Jaqueline Durran, advised by Paul Smith.


A rich and magnificent book that is transformed into another unique entity in film, what could be better! But maybe it's just Colin Firth in a suit… but that’s for another blog post.


 Megan

All images courtesy of Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment