Friday, September 21, 2012

Focus, strength and making more.



I’ve never had a problem working hard, but I feel like I’ve always had a problem centering myself and focusing on one thing at a time. I would associate myself with a hurricane before a calm ocean breeze but that’s never really bothered me before. Until I realized chronic stress and a general feeling of being unwell was getting in the way of my ability to make and make and make (the way I want to) in my studio. Enter a dedicated and focused practice of yoga, which has totally changed my world, sounds a little hokey but it’s true, along with a renewed focus on nutrition and eating a whole foods diet that suits me to a tee.

I think as an artist it’s really easy to say that you are 100% dedicated to your practice but without a strong healthy body and mind that sentiment usually has very little longevity. I won’t go into many details about my fitness or nutritional regime here. I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge this blend of athleticism with the spiritual that is backing up my process of making with a strength that I didn’t know was possible. Being a starving artist was never in my plans and neither was being one who might not be strong enough to make my work. What do you do to keep yourself well? How do you take care of yourself and balance your time in the studio? Do you consider your body a part of your creative practice? Just a little food for thought.

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment